Thursday, December 15, 2011

Mock Tuna Salad

When I was a kid, one of the few fishes I would eat was tuna, and then only in surprise or in sandwiches. I've been craving tuna sandwiches lately, so I went looking for Vegetarian recipes, then I smashed them all together and came up with this:

mock tuna salad mix

Chickpea “Tuna” Salad

3 C cooked chickpeas
1/4 C mayo
1/4 C nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp powdered nori (just take a sheet or two of nori and run it through the spice grinder)**
1/4 C celery, diced small
3 Tbsp sweet pickle relish

Run the chickpeas through the food processor until they are roughly chopped and crumbly, or alternately mash them with a fork and your hands.
Stir the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl, then add the chickpeas and stir until everything is coated evenly. This will make about 5 sandwiches.

(This recipe is similar to how I used to make it as a kid, but a lot of recipes left out the relish and added dijon mustard, some had scallions added in, and some left out the celery. Essentially the main parts of the recipe are the first 4-5 ingredients**, after that you can pretty much just add what you did as a kid.)

**the reason I didn't eat a lot of fish as a kid was I hated that 'fishy' taste, so I didn't add the nori and it was great!

mock tuna salad sandwich

(needs lettuce and tomato, but we were out, ah well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...