Thursday, March 11, 2010

sew what

Sew, um I mean, so, I haven't had as much time as I would like to knit, but I can eek out bits of time to sew, and sewing is so awesome, because even though I don't have a lot of time, I can still get a finished object relatively quickly.

For instance, I made the Llama's Mei Tai so that I could change out the patterned panels in front; making panels is quick and easy, and fun to pick out the fabrics to match my outfits.

mei tai panels 02-28-10

and even more!

more mei tai panels

I like how I can fold them all up together in a neat little square when I'm not using them.

And one more modeled with cute baby, (I know I said to match my outfits, but sometimes, I can do nothing but clash, I think it’s a SAHM thing)
mei tai green panel worn 02-28-10 2

when I pick out fabrics for the panels, I usually just buy fat quarters, the Jo-Ann's I go to is usually very busy, and while it would be cheaper to buy from the bolt, I would be standing in line forever, I think it's a fair trade off.

So I don't waste any of it, I've made a few tethers...

teathers 1 group

the Llama doesn’t really use his paci that often (usually only in the car seat, and when being flown around by his daddy) but it's easier to model the tethers with them. Tethers can be used to attach almost anything to you or something so it can't get tossed or dropped on the floor. like pacis, or toys to keep baby entertained, or even their sun hat in summertime.

They are just strips of home made bias tape with snaps sew on each end to make loops. One loop can be snapped around the item to be tethered and the other used to fasten it in some way. I used a hair tie looped around the handle for his car seat:

teathers 1 use blue

or it can be looped into itself around a strap:

teathers 1 use leaf

or it can be pinned with a safety pin, or you can buy suspender clips and use those to clip it onto items:

clip tether


and another big project on the way:

sewing wips

I'm going to sew a few wraps for TW and I, it's another way to baby wear, by securing the baby to you using a length of cloth.

I bought two lengths of linen/cotton fabric with sparkles on one side:

sparkle wrap fabric

I've trimmed them; now all they need is ironing and hemming!

I think I may use the leftover bits I trimmed off to make more panels for the Mei Tai (they are so addictive!)
And I have a few other project in mind as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...