Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fingerpaints!

My quest for all food safe, home made art supplies for the Llama brings me to finger paints today.

finger paints 06-14-11 1

There are two types of home made finger paint recipes out there, both are cornstarch based, one has you fully cooking the mixture on the stove, the other simply adding boiling water.

finger paints 06-14-11 2

We first tried the fully cooked method, it came out mostly clear, so the colors were really bright in the jar, but it was very goopy, and gloppy, more like jelly, it fell apart when he smooshed it around and didn't leave much color on the paper.

finger paints 06-14-11 3

Today I tried the other method, and it worked beautifully! It's more opaque, so the colors weren’t as jewel toned as the previous try, but it was creamy and malleable, and much more paint like!

finger paints 06-14-11 4

Here it is:

2 C corn starch
1 C cold water
4 1/2 C boiling water
food coloring

stir together the cold water and corn starch
Whisk in the boiling water.
Separate into individual containers and add food coloring. Mix well
Let cool and paint!

finger paints 06-14-11 5

I did a 1/4 recipe, since I didn't need a lot, and only wanted to make three colors for today's session. I split it into thirds and added about 10 -15 drops of color. I think when I do this again I would double the amount of cold water, it was very difficult to mix when I first started adding the boiling water, also the paint came out a bit thicker than I would have liked and I ended up adding a splash more water to thin it out.

finger paints 06-14-11 6

It took the Llama a little bit to get into it, but once he did, he had a blast! Clean up was super easy, we did end up with a faint tint to our skin where the paint rested for a while, but I think that will wear off after another wash or so.

finger paints 06-14-11 7

finger paints 06-14-11 8

finger paints 06-14-11 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...